Wednesday, May 25, 2011

My Health Journey

I'm a healthy 29 year old mom & wife. Or am I?

For the past 6 years, I've been on a journey trying to figure out what IS  going on with my body. Started out with sporadic tingling in different places throughout my body turned into tingling mostly in my hands and feet and numbness in my feet. I've basically had all the symptoms of MS (fatigue, numbness, bladder and bowel dysfunction, weakness, sexual dysfunction, chronic aching pain, mild cognitive and memory difficulties), but none of the proof. I've had 5-6 MRIs in the last years, a spinal tap, evoked potential, and other tests and for the most part everything looks good. 


We know my body is telling me something is off, so we are continuing down the journey. Hopefully soon i will find out the results of the Evoked Potential test. 


All the while, I've gotten real familiar with fear. And while my symptoms don't have a name, they do scare me. Often it comes out to Matt when I tell him he needs to keep life going when I'm gone. I'm not trying to be dramatic, but just scared at what's going on! ... and sometimes I think not having the benefit of knowing what I'm dealing with is scarier-- because without a name, there is no natural action to it. 


But I've been trying to take action into my own hands and in the mean time, I am working on just healthy living. We've never been terrible eaters but on the other hand being health nuts is far from our personality. So it's hard for us to leap into some of the more radical health ideas. But how stupid is that?? Obviously incorporating something healthy into your life could only HELP your health & future... whereas staying the same will only keep you the same or make things worse down the road. 


Some things we are trying:

  • More fruits- weekly trips to the farmers market is keeping fruits and veggies accessible
  • Green Smoothies- starting each day with some power-packed fruits and veggies is giving me great energy & getting my digestion in a happy place
  • Lots of water!!!!
  • No Corn Syrup- choosing products minus the corn syrup... like Hunt's Ketchup
  • Choosing products with simple ingredients & ingredients we can understand
  • MOVING our bodies-- I bike 2-3 times a week to pick the girls up from school, Matt is biking (7 miles) to work 2x a week
  • Choosing household products with less chemicals- 7th Generation, Greenworks, etc. 
We have a lot more progress to make as a family, but these are simple things we are doing to make a difference is our health. 

No comments:

Post a Comment